Sunday, January 17, 2010

My first baking lesson


I learned my first baking lesson from my mom. After having her 5th child, she decided to stop working as a librarian in a radio station (the PBS) in Manila - she's actually a pharmacist by profession - and dedicated herself as a full time housewife and mom to us, 6 children.

She then started to learn to bake simple cake recipes like banana cake and butter cake, which according to her reminded her of the cakes that her playmate's mom used to bake. She even made an improvised "fruitcake" recipe using saba - a variety of banana, sweet potatoes, some nuts and raisins, and of course some grape wine added during and after baking which gives the cake a really good savory taste.

I assist her every time she does her baking, and there started my interest to learn more recipes which she later on made me do the baking myself for the family.

(In the photo was me at 1month and 8 days old with my mom in front of her pharmacy in Paranaque)

No comments:

Post a Comment